NFL Week 3 Fantasy Start ‘Em Or Sit ‘Em

Posted by in Fantasy Football on September 17th, 2008 | 30 Comments

Reminder: If you haven’t checked out my Week 3 NFL Predictions and Picks Against the Spread, check those out in the article below or follow the link.

START ‘EM:

1.) Michael Turner — Michael Turner followed up his 220 yard, 2 TD week 1 performance with only 42 rushing yards last week, but that was against a tough Tampa Bay defense. This week, he’ll be against the Chiefs, who are ranked 31st against the run, allowing 213 YPG on the ground. I can see Turner running wild just like McFadden last week.

2.) Jay Cutler/Brandon Marshall/Eddie Royal — The Broncos have the Saints this week and the Saints defense has been decimated by injuries. They have 3 DBs banged up, 1 starting LB out for the season, another starting LB listed day-to-day. The Broncos have the first ranked offense and they should be able to score in the 30’s once again.

3.) Reggie Bush — After a poor performance in week 2 against the Redskins, he should be able to bounce back this game against a Broncos defense that is ranks 21st against the run this year and was 30th against the run last year.

4.) David Patten — If you have issues at WR on your fantasy team, David Patten might be a solid waiver wire pickup until Marques Colston returns. This week, the Saints have a defense that is 29th against the pass. Patten had 5 receptions and 55 yards last week and his numbers should be even bigger this week against a much poorer defense. He also had a 39 yard TD reception in week 1 against the Bucs. Patten is a much more consistent option than Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem may take Devery Henderson’s job away.

My quetion to you: My fantasy WR starters are Randy Moss, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Donald Driver. So far T.J. hasn’t produced for me. He’s been held to under 50 yards and 0 TDs each game and Carson Palmer is looking terrible. This week the Begnals have a very tough Giants defense. Do you bench T.J. this week and opt for David Patten in a more favorable matchup? Leave me a comment by clicking the comment link at the bottom of the article.

5.) Chris Johnson — The Texans gave up 183 yards on the ground to the Steelers in week 1. Last week, Chris Johnson put up 109 yards on 19 carries. He’s getting more and more carries each week due to LenDale White’s poor rushing average. Chris Johnson averages 5.9 YPC compared to LenDale White’s 3.0 YPC. I can see CJ putting up another 100 yards off 20 carries this game. CJ also put up 93 rushing yards in week 1. He also has 46 receiving yards in those two games. I’m pretty pissed I slept on him. He went in the 10th round #98 in my league, but I guess I can boast about taking Jay Cutler in round 13. I took Joey Galloway at #94 — I wanted to go with a proven vet as a backup WR (3 straight 1,000 yard seasons). Oh well.

6.) Frank Gore — The Lions are giving up 220 YPG on the ground. Frank Gore should have a field day against the league’s worst defense.

7.) Maurice Jones-Drew — So far MJD’s numbers haven been solid, but not outstanding. With the Colts giving up 181.5 YPG on the ground and Colts S Bob Sanders out, I could see a huge day from MJD.

8.) Steve Smith — Steve Smith is back from his suspension and Jake Delhomme is on fire. This week they’ll have the 24th ranked passing defense this year and the 32nd ranked passing defense from last year. With the Vikings shutting down the Panthers running game, Delhomme will have to air it out. I expect a huge day from Steve Smith.

9.) Randy Moss — After Moss’s 22 yards last week, I was almost convinced that he would be putting up similar numbers with Matt Cassell all season long, but fortunately, the Pats have the Dolphins this week, and they gave up 361 yards and 3 TDs in the air to the Cardinals last week. I’m hoping that means a rebound performance from Moss this week and hopefully, he can develop some chemistry with Casselll.

SIT ‘EM:

1.) DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart — The Vikings have averaged only 82 rushing yards allowed this season. Last week Joseph Addai was held to 20 yards on 15 carries. However, in week 1, the Vikings did give up 92 yards to Ryan Grant off 12 attempts. They were ranked 1st against the run in 2007, so I would opt for another back in a more favorable matchup.

2.) Willie Parker — With Big Ben’s sore shoulder, expect Parker to get a lot of carries, so you may not want to bench him. What I did want to point out is that Eagles have the 1st rank rushing defense and are allowing only 52 YPG. Just be advised that FWP may be shut down.

3.) Jamal Lewis — The Ravens gave up only 70 rushing yards in week 1 and their defense looks like it’s back to what the Ravens defense is known for. Jamal Lewis struggled against the Steelers last week (in was in the rain in his defense). 19 carries for 38 yards (2.0 YPC). He did add 3 receptions for 38 yards that game though. I don’t see him putting up monster numbers this game, so opt for another back.

4.) Chris Perry — Perry has an awful 2.7 YPC average and he’ll be against the 4th ranked rushing defense.

5.) LaDanian Tomlinson — Bench L.T.? Are you crazy? No, not really. There’s a method to my madness. L.T. has a banged up toe injury and is listed as probable. He struggled last week and this week, his carries will be limited. L.T. only had 10 carries for 26 yards against a very poor run defense last week (14 receiving yards though). Sproles got 7 attempts and put up 53 yards. Expect Sproles to get more carries until L.T.’s toe is fully healed. The Chargers are also up against the 6th ranked rushing defense this week. The Jets were ranked 29th against the run last year though, but they did a solid job containing the Patriots rushers last week.

6.) Carson Palmer/T.J. Houshmandzadeh/Chad Johnson — So far the Bengal’s offense has been terrible. 9 PPG. Carson Palmer has had games with 94 yards and 134 yards with 0 TDs and 3 INTs. This week things don’t get any easier for them against the 5th ranked passing defense that ranks 3rd in sacks.

7.) Ryan Grant — After 15 carries for 20 yards last week, Grant had to be pulled because his hamstring was giving him some problems. I would wait until he’s fully healthy until you play him. He’s not officially on the injury list, but he’s still feeling the effects of lingering hamstring injury.

30 Responses to NFL Week 3 Fantasy Start ‘Em Or Sit ‘Em:

1. Jack

Date: Sep 17, 2008 at 5:38 pm

dude im in the same situation…please let me know what you think:
    Braylon
    TJ
    Welker
    Bowe

im thinking sit TJ and start Bowe alongside Braylon and Welker

Date: Sep 17, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Welker seems to be Cassell’s favorite target (7 receptions last week) and he has a favorable matchup against Miami — their passing defense sucks! Cleveland against the Ravens isn’t too good for Braylon though. I think Bowe will put up good numbers against the Falcons. I would also go Braylon, Welker, and Bowe. Housh is killing me, so I’ll sit him until he produces. Well, he’ll be in my line up week 4 against the Browns, let’s see how he does then.

3. jjjstzr

Date: Sep 18, 2008 at 8:37 am

who to start?

larry johnson
    grant
    sammy morris
    chris johnson

At the beginning of the season, I thought I had some real play makers, but the last two weeks, my work horses haven’t produced. what do you think for week 3?

Date: Sep 18, 2008 at 10:57 am

I would go Chris Johnson for sure and then it’s between Larry Johnson and Ryan Grant. I would go with LJ. Despite a poor week 2, LJ had a decent week in week 1 and he has a good matchup against the Falcon. Expect around 100 yards and at least 80 from LJ.

This is from CBS on Ryan Grant: Packers RB Ryan Grant (hamstring) went through limited practice reps Wednesday as the team prepares for Week 3 vs. Dallas. Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday that Grant, who has played in the first two games despite a lingering hamstring issue, will be on the same practice schedule he had leading up to Week 2 — limited reps until Friday’s practice. McCarthy added that the team doctors believe Grant is further ahead of where he was on the Wednesday leading up to Week 2.

I go with a healthy LJ over an injured Grant because Grants carries will be limited and he had 15 carries for 20 yards last game, so things aren’t looking good for him and that was against the Lions!

Hope that helps!

5. Casey

Date: Sep 19, 2008 at 3:08 am

I am in an eerily similar boat with my WRs. I had drafted Marques Colston, but traded him this past week for Chad Johnson and Julius Jones. So now I am left with Calvin Johnson, Donald Driver, Chad 8-5, David Patten (and Derrick Mason).
    I am fairly certain that I am going to start Patten over Ocho Cinco this week. I want to see Chad show me a good week before putting him in my starting lineup, and with the matchup against the Giants this week, I have little confidence this will be his first break-out week of the season. I view TJ as in a similar situation as Chad Johnson…until Carson Palmer gets going, neither will be producing on par with their talent. I am hoping that Palmer is going through something similar to what Drew Brees went through the first 4 weeks of last season. They still have the talent, their offense will get going eventually. A few matchups against some lesser quality defensive teams will go along way toward that turn around.

Best of luck in week 3.
    -casey

P.S. Which of the following defenses would you play this week:

Dallas against GB
    Detroit vs. San Fran
    San Fran vs. Detroit
    Atlanta vs. KC
    KC vs. Atlanta

I am liking Detroit, I know it seems crazy given their performances so far, but look at the defenses going against SF so far this year. Any thoughts on this conundrum?

Date: Sep 19, 2008 at 9:24 am

I would start Calvin Johnson, Donald Driver, and David Patten.

I think I’m going to bench T.J. this week and go with Patten. I’ll have T.J. in my lineup week 4 against the Browns. Hopefully, they start clicking then.

You have to play Dallas. Play Detroit? Are you nuts. They’ll allow the 49ers to score all over them and Gore will run all over them. Gore will be good for at least 150 receiving and rushing yards.

7. TNK

Date: Sep 19, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Which two do I start?

Chris Johnson
    Steven Jackson
    Maurice Jones-Drew

Date: Sep 19, 2008 at 3:19 pm

TNK, they’re all winners in my book. Definitely Steven Jackson since he’s not sharing carries and should grab a TD against the weak Seahawks D. I like MJD since Bob Sanders is out and the Colts are AWFUL against the run this year even when Sanders has been in. I also like Chris Johnson against a poor Texans run defense.

I would go Steven Jackson and MJD. I’m thinking that the Texans will do their homework on Johnson and be able to contain him.

9. Robert

Date: Sep 19, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Regarding Willie Parker and Philly’s Rush D:

Don’t forget the other side of the coin. Philly may have the highest rated rush defense in the league at the moment but they’ve also been challenged with the fewest carries by opposing teams of any team in the league.

Date: Sep 19, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Robert, point taken. They have been up against 2 great backs though: Steven Jackson and Marion Barber. I am an Eagles fan, so I know their team inside and out. They have 3 top-notch linebackers, all young and relatively unknown, but all are very good! Bunkley (DT), their 1st round pick, is playing outstanding this year and stuffing the run. He is a dominating force on that line. Next to him is another first-round DT Mike Patterson, who is also playing very well. Combine that with Pro-Bowler Trent Cole and Juqua Parker on the other end, and you have a top 5 front 7. I’ll predict that Willie Parker gets about 20 carries for 63 yards and 0 TDs.

11. Justin

Date: Sep 20, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Yeah its a hard decision this week for me. I have three leagues and almost all the players are being requested to start week 3. What do you think?

ESPN

Michael Pittman

Hard Choices any suggestions are appreciated. TY

12. TNK

Date: Sep 20, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Thanks, Vegas Martin.

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 7:17 am

You’ve made wise choices Justin. I might opt for Eddie Royal, but you have some great receivers on that team. You have to go Romo over Warner.

14. coleman

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 9:30 am

who should i play

Jerricho Cotchery
    Donald Driver
    D. Bowe WR
    J. Shockey TE

which 2 should i play?

15. Justin

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 9:42 am

Let me know what you think of my post above pls also? Thanks

Donald Driver definately
    Shockey should have a decient game
    Cotchery hit and miss
    Ive dont own any KC players but LJ should have a big game and I would say Bowe could to if LJ cant get through

I would say
    Driver
    Shockey cause the only other Playmacker on the team is Reggie Bush and he was limited last week
    Then Bowe maybe and then Cotchery but i still like favre through to the jets so thats a hard choice for me

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 9:49 am

I have my roster set.

QB – Jay Cutler (vs. New Orleans)
    RB – Clinton Portis (vs. Arizona), Edgerrin James (@ Washington)
    WR – Randy Moss (vs. Miami), T.J. Houshmandzadeh (@ New York Giants), David Patten (@ Denver)
    TE – Antonio Gates (vs. Jets)

Benched:

Earnest Graham — I was going to start Earnest Graham, but he’s splitting carries with Warrick Dunn and his stats look more impressive than they are due to a huge 68 yard run he broke last week against the Falcons and a 46 yard run against the Saints. That shouldn’t be happening against the Bears tough run D. Although Edge is getting goalline carries being taken away from Tim Hightower, he’s gotten 44 carries (better than Graham’s 25) and has a better shot of getting yards against Washington.

Donald Driver — I was thinking of playing David Patten over T.J. Housh, but it’s time for T.J. to step it up and Driver is against a tough Dallas D. I like Patten to put up big numbers in a Denver shootout.

Kurt Warner — Jay Cutler is on fire and he’s up against a depleted New Orleans defense. Cutler should put up 350 yards and 3 TDs and perhaps more. Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal are going to tear it up.

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 9:51 am

They’re all winners Coleman. I like Bowe vs. Atlanta. I also like Shockey vs. Denver, but he sucked last week, which is why I have my reservations, so maybe go for Driver/Bowe. It’s a tough call.

18. Grublets on Ice

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:14 am

Who would you start today? Delhomme @ Minnesota or McNabb at home vs. Pittsburgh? Thanks for the input.

19. Justin

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:30 am

McNabb vs. Pitts

Hey also please help?
    Deshean Jackson vs. Pittsburgh
    or Lee Evans vs. Oak.

I cant decide HLP Pls thanks

20. Branden

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:46 am

would you start Clinton Portis or Michael Turner this week?

Thanks

21. Justin

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:52 am

oh now thats hard i got them both starting but i would say Portis this time around just because Turner shares with Jerious Norwood

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:56 am

You have to go with McNabb… he’s on fire! Delhomme will still put up good numbers, especially against a poor pass defense, but McNabb is clearly a better option.

I also go with DeSean Jackson. 2 100-yard games. Kevin Curtis still out. He is McNabb’s favorite target now. He gets a ton of receptions for the short stuff and also has the ability to burn defenders deep. Plus, McNabb is throwing to him, which I trust more than Trent Edwards vs. a good secondary (on paper).

23. Branden

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:57 am

ok .. portis is a solid pick but all the predictions have turner going for a huge game against the chiefs “defense”.

for you, i would go with evans against oak. just because oakland is only decent and trent edwards can get the ball around cleanly. evans is due for a TD anyways.

david patten or tory holt?

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:58 am

Portis or Turner? Both if you can, or do you have like Brian Westbrook or Adrian Peterson as your 1st back? Turner is up against the 31st ranked rushing defense though. Portis will also get good numbers against a below average Cardinals rush defense.

25. Branden

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:59 am

i have frank gore as my 1st back.

26. Justin

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Hey thanks Branden
    Patten aint nothing hit and miss
    Go with HOLT all the way

27. Justin

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 12:14 pm

told ya portis baby 1 touchdown 12 yards total first possesion

28. Justin

Date: Sep 21, 2008 at 12:36 pm

well ok micheal also lol

29. Lubbykko

Date: Oct 26, 2008 at 8:43 am

Good site! Interesting information.. )

30. marina difesa it

Date: Dec 03, 2008 at 11:02 pm

The topic is quite curious, i must say