Fantasy Football Mailbag – Week 5

Posted by in Fantasy Football on October 2nd, 2008 | 8 Comments

I decided to start a new feature here at THE PASS RUSH: Fantasy Mailbag. Before we get to that, I wanted to introduce you to our new guest writer, Brandon Phillips, whose specialty is college football. He’s already 70% against the spread (17-7) this year on his college picks, which he’ll be posting weekly. You can read his week 6 college football picks by following the link or reading below. And don’t forget to check out my week 5 NFL picks.

Now onto the Fantasy Mailbag. I urge you all to submit your questions by using the comments link at the bottom of this article. Write your question there and we’ll get back to you. Basically, anything in the “who do I start” category should go under this post.  Wondering whether to start Eli Manning or Brett Favre, do you have 5 receivers and don’t know which 3 to start, or are you debating whether to go with Clinton Portis against the 3rd-ranked run defense or Chris Johnson, post your question in this thread.

8 Responses to Fantasy Football Mailbag – Week 5:

1. Brian Phillips

Date: Oct 03, 2008 at 10:02 am

I have a question about a trade in my fantasy football league. I am in need of a RB and I have a chance to pick of Adrian Peterson. I will be giving up Mcnabb and Felix Jones but I have Campbell to take over the QB position and he is playing really well. What do you think. Also just to let you know I don’t know if you should be trusting my brother on giving betting advice. Just kidding. I really like the site and will be letting most of my friends know. Thanks
    Brian

Date: Oct 03, 2008 at 10:27 am

You would be crazy not to take that trade. I can’t believe someone even offered that to you. You’re getting the #2 RB in the draft for a QB that was probably drafted in the 4th round and a RB that was probably drafted in the 8th round. Other than the St. Louis game, McNabb’s stats have just been average: only 1 TD in those games. Campbell is been off to a great start and is earning exactly the same amount of fantasy points as McNabb.

I would never put Felix Jones in my starting lineup. He’ll get you the occasional 60 yard 1 TD game, but then he’ll go bust. His carries are limited, so he’s not even worth starting. He had 0 carries last game and he only averaged 6 carries in the prior 3 games. With only 37 YPG and 2 TDs, his fantasy value isn’t very high. Yes, make the trade!

3. Brian Phillips

Date: Oct 03, 2008 at 10:52 am

Ok I am taking the trade, I just wanted some other peoples advice, but now I will have an opening at my OP spot. What are your suggestions on who to pick up that is probably a FA. I play in a custom league with 10 teams and the best guys in FA is O’Sullivan, Griese, Brandon Lloyd, Kitna. I really don’t like most of these guys so I need some suggestions.

Date: Oct 03, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I guess you should have a backup QB for security reasons, but you can always wait for the bye to come and someone decent should be available. I would go with O’Sullivan as a backup. Brandon Lloyd got off to a hot start but banged up his knee in the Eagles game. If you need help at receiver, I’m a big fan of Kevin Walter (WR-HOU). Since the Texans are passing a lot and Andre Johnson is getting double teamed all the time, that’s giving a lot of looks to Kevin Walter and so far he’s been producing. Matt Jones, Brandon Lloyd, Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, Antonio Bryant are also good players to pick up off the wire. If Deuce McAllister is still on there, pick him up too. He’s going to start being used in the Saints’ offense more and has reclaimed the role of the feature back. Last game he had 20 carries for 73 yards and 1 TD.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Date: Oct 09, 2008 at 7:59 am

Who do you like for week 6:
    Brett Favre coming off of a bye and 6 TD performance the week before or Kurt Warner against the highly suspect Dallas secondary but minus Anquan Boldin.

Date: Oct 09, 2008 at 9:31 am

I would go with Favre. At home, fresh off a bye wee, fresh off a game with 6 TDs, against a very poor defense. Kurt Warner will still do well. They should both put up good numbers, but I’ll give the edge to Favre.

7. Malachi

Date: Oct 10, 2008 at 9:06 pm

For my third WR spot I have Robert Meachem vs Oakland or Antonio Bryant vs Carolina

Who would your start for week 6.

TY in advance

Malachi

Date: Oct 11, 2008 at 9:40 am

Meachem is always capable of giving you the home run deep ball, but he can also give you a fat goose egg. With Bryant, you’ll get a receiver that leads the team in targets, so he’s pretty much a lock for at least 5 receptions, so you can count on around at least 60 yards. If you want guaranteed points, go with Bryant due to consistency, but if you can afford to start a guy that can put up 0 in order to risk getting that deep TD, go with Meachem. After taking the defenses their facing into consideration, I think you’ll be better served with Meachem in your lineup against a weak Raiders team, but don’t be surprised if Meachem doesn’t produce anything for you.