Register | Log in

Boise State vs. Virginia Tech Preview, Prediction, Pick Against the Spread

Posted by in College Football Picks on August 8th, 2010 | 36 Comments
Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams is one nasty RB.

BOISE STATE BRONCOS @ VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES (+2.5)

Scanning through the week 1 college football lines, the game that stands out this week other than Pitt @ Utah is Boise State @ Virginia Tech (+2.5).  Two National Championship contenders, the No. 5 ranked Broncos and the No. 6. Hokies will be squaring off week one, in the Sunday Night Lights. The game is set for Monday, September 6th, on ESPN at 8:00pm. To be completely fair, this one is a toss up and I’m giving a slight nod to Virginia Tech. If I’ve learned one thing over the years, it’s that this team has performed exceptionally well at home in night games. Although they won’t have the advantage of playing on their home turf at Lane Stadium, they’ll still have a distinct home-field advantage playing at FedEx Field in Washington D.C.

With that said, I would be careless and hasty to say that Boise State doesn’t have a shot in this game. Despite VT’s huge home-field advantage, Boise State is 10-3 ATS on the road in their last 13 games. Even better is the fact that Boise State has 23 of the 24 players that started in the Fiesta Bowl returning. If your memory fails you, Boise State defeated No. 3 TCU last year 17-10 in the Fiesta Bowl and remained undefeated.

BSU’s QB Kellen Moore threw for over two miles last season (3,537 yards to be exact) with a ridiculous 39 TDs. Moore also has all of his top playmakers back again this season. Boise State has an opportunity to play for a National Championship if they win this game. This game is their National Championship, which is why I cannot wait to watch this game Monday night.

Virginia Tech cannot be overlooked though. Virginia averaged 32 PPG last season and come in ranked No. 6 in the nation, just one spot shy of Boise State. Like Boise State, Virginia Tech has a lot of their key players returning from last season. VT will be led by top QB Tyrod Taylor. Taylor is complimented by two outstanding backs in RB Ryan Williams (1655 yards and 21 TDs last season) and RB Darren Evans (returning from an injury, had an excellent 2008 season). They’ll be a tremendous 1-2 punch. Ryan Williams is a downright scary back — must see video below. Dare I compared him to Adrian Peterson? Watch the video to find out for yourself. Both the same size, Williams is a couple inches shorter, but very similar running styles. Williams set a VT record for most 100-yard games in a season as a freshmen, breaking the record of his current teammate Darren Evans. This kid is going to turn heads this season. In the passing game, Tyrod Taylor’s top target in the air is WR Jarrett Boykin, a very talented receiver who had 40 receptions for 835 yards (20.9 YPR) last season.

However, the Hokies are dealing with a young defense. You’re asking a lot from a young squad to go out there and stop Boise State’s potent offense, one of the best offenses in college football. This one should be high scoring and come down to the wire. On a more neutral field than DC, I would say Boise State all the way, but the Monday night, home-team factor has me give the nod to the Hokies.

Update: Thanks to One Bronco Nation for the shout out on their blog. One thing I overlooked was Boise’s D in this one. No question BSU has a very talented defense, which you can clearly see in the highlight package below. They led the NCAA in interceptions last season with 25 while VT only had 11 INTs but BSU plays much weaker teams. They shut down TCU in the Fiesta Bowl, but the one game that sticks out in my mind from last season was the Nevada game, which BSU won 44-33. Nevada had a tremendous running attack like VT does and BSU gave up a lot of points in that game, which is why I think VT won’t have a problem scoring in this one. Boise also struggled against the run when they played Fresno State. On the other hand, they limited Oregon to just 8 points in the season opener last year, another impressive feat. Both teams have very similar defensive stats, they both gave up about 300 yards and 17 points per game. This will be a very interesting game.

Prediction: Virginia Tech 27 – Boise State 24

Pick Against the Spread: Virginia Tech +2.5 (Confidence: 1.5/5)

Notes: I’m expecting to see lots of scoring in this one, but a lower scoring game like the Fiesta Bowl wouldn’t surprise me either. The game ATS I think is a toss up. You have two excellent offenses and defenses and which one breaks will have to be your call.  BSU’s offense and defense may be better than VT, but I’m playing the home-team factor here.  I also love the Taylor/Williams/Evans triple threat against a notoriously bad run defense. The majority are calling for the Broncos to win this one, but I’m simply going against the grain so I can go back and say “I called it” if VT wins this one. By no means will I be betting on this game.

Also for the record, Brandon really likes Boise State in this game.

9/6 Update: I’m flip-flopping on this one. Boise is just too damn good. With Boise’s offense against 7 new faces on VT’s defense, VT will be hard pressed to outshoot Boise in this one. After getting a favorable line movement, I don’t mind laying some extra juice to take a teaser of Boise State +10, Over 43.5 (Confidence 3.5/5).

Who will win in Week 1's big game between No. 5 Boise State @ No. 6 Virginia Tech?

• Boise State (52%, 549 Votes)
  • Virginia Tech (48%, 514 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,063

Ryan Williams Highlights:

Boise State 2009 Highlights:

Comment »

Tags: , , , ,

36 Responses to Boise State vs. Virginia Tech Preview, Prediction, Pick Against the Spread:

1. Joe

Date: Aug 10, 2010 at 6:50 pm

It is great to compare these two great teams with a video from highlights. One thing puzzles me however. VT shows highlights of Rya Williams a truely great runner. Boise State show highlights of the entire team. Therefore, how is VT going to compete? Team vs. Ryan. I go for team.

Date: Aug 10, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for the comment Joe. I’m glad you enjoyed the video. It’s not so much that VT’s only player is Williams. It’s just that I came across this video and I was like WOW! This could be the single greatest highlight package I’ve ever seen for a player. It’s definitely the music. I’ve probably watched that video over 10 times now. Thanks again for the comment. Hope you return to the site. I’m looking forward to an awesome year and I cannot wait to watch this game.

3. Travis

Date: Aug 10, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Joe,
    that is just one video… ryan williams is arguably the best running back in the nation… last year one of the best running backs in the nation, derran evans, who seems to be forgotten by now, was virginia techs starting back. he tore his acl and sat out a year where he did nothing but train… we are returning the best 1-2 back combo in the nation. tyrod taylor is probably the most elusive qb in the nation, with a CANNON and ability to run VERY well… check out the vt nebraska come back… in that video you will see danny coale… some of the best hands in ncaa football, along with jerat boikin… we have the 2 best return men in the nation and of course our famous beamer ball mentality so… punts, kicks, and kick offs are never safe… that covers offense and special teams… we ARE losing a lot of defensive players… but i have one name for you, bud foster. his motto is “we dont rebuild, we reload” the man is a beast. the BEST defensive coordinator in the nation. watch out for the hokies. while my views may be bias because i AM a hokie… i truly think they are all true…. hokie nation is for real, and here to stay!!! LETS GO HOKIES!!!

4. W.Chase

Date: Aug 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Game is MONDAY, not Sunday. It’s also at FedEx Field in DC, not in Blacksburg, so it’s not a home game (even though it was 99% Hokies when USC came to FedEx in ’04). Props to BSU on the win over TCU, but I don’t know that they have 4 Qtrs of smashmouth football in them. Tech by 7

Date: Aug 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Haha, “classic mixup.” Fail by me on the date/venue mix up. Thanks for pointing that out W. Chase. I still like the Hokies since it’s still essentially home game for them. It’s not like they’ll be playing on blue turf.

6. BSU Chris

Date: Aug 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I am a Bronco fan and will be there in DC- I cannot wait!! I think that it is going to be more a defensive game than people may think. I know our defense this year is going to be very good and very deep and VT’s seems to be EVERY year, I think if Broncos do win its going to be a low scoring game like the Fiesta Bowl. For us it comes down to whether we can make tackles on first contact and create confusion for Taylor- if we can do these things we have a good chance. But if Ryan Williams runs on us like Ryan Mattews at Fresno did last year, it will be tough to overcome.
    Go Broncos!!!

Date: Aug 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for the comment BSU Chris. I definitely agree with you and provided an update to the article to respond to what you had to say. Like I mentioned, the game that sticks out in my mind is when they gave up 33 points to Nevada and their strong rushing attack. This is going to a great game. I cannot wait.

8. Papaspud

Date: Aug 14, 2010 at 10:14 pm

This should be a classic. #5 vs #6 first game of the season……..could be epic. Being a BSU homer, I would take the BSU vs the spread, they are usually a good team to take to beat the spread. They are always well prepared by coach pete and they will be VERY motivated.

I think both offenses will do well, we seem to give up big running plays a little too much. However I think this years offense will be better, we have our best wide receiver coming back and it looks like everybody will be healthy. This team is deep at every position. It is basically the team that went undefeated last year. They only gave out 6 scholarships this year.

Good luck to VT in every game…..except the first one….go BSU

9. Travis

Date: Aug 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

This game will be good no doubt, we sent off almost our entire defense, but not our defensive coordinator. Our problem has always been offense, with all this talk about ryan williams i think everyone has forgotten about derran evans. he shattered all the acc’s records the year before ryan did. then ryan came along and shattered derrans records… with BOTH of these guys in our playbook again, and boise’s reputation for giving up the “big run” i think this game will be FULL of big runs… mobile qb, and arguably the best 1-2 rb combo in the nation… then factor in you cant cheat in because of our STERLING recieveing crew… yikes. these posts have given me more respect to boise fans, seem like cool people, unlike uva or west virginia fans, so good luck to you guys. but like papaspud said, just not on the first game hahaha i think the winner of this game will play alabama for the national title. GO TECH!

10. GraffititBridge

Date: Aug 17, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I am a Boise homer, and I have one thing to say to all the Virginia Tech fans out there. You guys have to be the classiest group of fans i have ever had the privilege to debate with. Great people. Good luck on Labor Day, and stay classy.

11. W.Chase

Date: Aug 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

To all of the Boise State fans – I agree with all of the talk on this board about how classy you guys seem, too. As VT fans, we appreciate the kinds words, as well. At least you’re playing us and not Miami, Florida State, or West VA – then you’d learn about teams with ZERO class (they’re like school in the summer time). Looking fwd to 9/6 – safe travels. Go Hokies!!!

12. Travis

Date: Aug 20, 2010 at 11:57 pm

two words, HOKIES RESPECT!!!

13. BJC

Date: Aug 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm

The only thing that gives Boise State a chance is that it’s the first game of the season and this is the same team that beat TCU what seems like just a few months ago.

Ryan Williams is scary good. I tried watching the highlight video with different music (courtesy of Pandora.com) and it didn’t matter – George Winston piano music, James Taylor, even John Denver – #34 is still ridiculous. The thing I noticed is that his runs seemed to be against 4-3 defenses with typical NCAA LB’s who could not fill a lane or get outside fast enough. VT’s offense probably won’t be too comfortable against the 4-1-6 “hybrid” defense (SI cover curse be damned) stolen from TCU last year. Still, they will likely run all over the Broncos and score at least 4 TD’s, maybe even 5. But VT will have to score at least 2 more to win the game. Williams and Evans will have to run 250 yards each to score 4-5 TD’s.

There is zero chance of BSU laying a turd like they did against Georgia a few years ago when they travelled east at the start of the season. The Broncos offense will put up at least 4 TD’s and will not make (m)any mistakes. The defense and special teams should be good for two more. So I think the game will come down to BSU’s punter and special teams’ tackling. If VT starts every possession from their own 20 or worse, the Hokies could be in for a long night.

If VT has to settle for field go or two, that will be enough for the Broncos to hold on for the win. BSU 42, VT 38.

14. idahotom

Date: Aug 23, 2010 at 1:11 am

Boise State defense is going to shut this game down and their offense will produce 38+ points… Coach Pete will have this team ready to walk through the VT campus….. The fact that BSU is returning the same team with the exception of MORE defensive talent makes this an easy bet…..BSU by 17…… See you all in the national championship….38-21 BSU!

15. idahotom

Date: Aug 23, 2010 at 1:18 am

And yes….9/6 can’t come soon enough…..gonna be a great game between a consitantly winning team (VT) in college football and a well coached and sickly recruited team in BSU…. Best of luck hokies… Stands to be one of the best in a crazy season ahead.

16. Travis

Date: Aug 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm

im not going to claim to know everything about boise state… but one thing screams to me… strength of schedule… i mean last year they played ONE ranked team and nearly lost to them… and they were ranked 16th… i mean… they did beat tcu… but… they were a touchdown away from blowing it to tulsa… last year we played four teams ranked in the top 20 and lost only one, to alabama, the national champions. the toughest team (according to rankings) was miami… where we blew them out 31 to 7… i know we cant live in the past because unfortunately we let go quite a few defensive players that were VERY good… but we have NEVER had a year riddled with defensive problems. offense has always been our weak spot and this year… i dont see how our offense can mess up. and as for the 4-1-6… i feel like our running backs wont have as many big breaks but the can chip away at field position and our receivers can run shorter routs. tyrod taylor doesnt get enough recognition. im so sick of espn “analisers” all talking about jacory harris for heisman (as far as the acc qbs go)… he is a chump and a thug. he was picked so many times against us… but tyrod is over rated?… va tech is always under rated, and im happy that we are because it just fuels our fire and i believe we are going to come out in a big way this first game… got a little off topic, but seriously virginia tech was ranked number TWO in the nation for strength of schedule… i see boise is trying to get tougher schedule going on… and a good first step by taking on va tech… best of luck, and go hokies! see you 9/6!!!!!!!!!

17. SECFAN

Date: Aug 27, 2010 at 11:19 am

Everyone likes to talk about Boise beating TCU like that is a huge deal…I would have to stay saying boise state is a good team is crazy. Its like watching a decent high school team play a bunch of middle school teams, sure they are going to win 99% of their games, but does it really matter and are they really worthy of any sort of praise? Lets look at the ranked team boise state beat last season TCU…TCUs hardest game last year during the regular seas was against Air Force….and they only beat air force by a field goal. I think this is a joke compared to the schedules of actual title contenders. You guys want to talk defense? ok how bout these stats. Boise state only produced 26 sacks all season thats 55th in the nation, remember they played a high school schedule last year and only produced 26 sacks, virginia tech produced 36 sacks thats 14th in the nation as a defensive line. tackles for a loss total yards boise state had a menial 153 yards ranking them 80th, virginia tech? 276 ranking them 6th in the nation…I think ryan williams is going to run all over the little defense that boise state has….my prediction is 27-14 virginia tech!

18. Dixie

Date: Aug 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I love Virginia Tech!!! But I have to say Boise State is very physical and very fast…. they scare me! But after a few minutes of watching the blue uniforms on the blue field…I kept losing them…is it true they are making them change the field color? Because its really not fair to have a freaky blue field and blue uniforms…I am surprised they don’t play with a blue football too….but they still look awesome!!!! I cannot wait for Sept 6! :))) Go HOKIES!

19. Dixie

Date: Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I just want to add, we are so excited about this game. I was this excited over Alabama last year, but last year, I thought “we are gonna get creamed”…which…we didn’t, we gave ole #1 Alabama a pretty good fight.

20. Travis

Date: Aug 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm

secfan, your my kinda guy. NUMBERS… its ALL. ABOUT. NUMBERS. (and strength of schedule) i think the boise state defense is going to see a few numbers itself… it will see a number 4 as a blur running past them… they will see a number 32 running them over… and when… if… 32 gets tired, they will see a 25 running them over… and lets not forget them seeing the most important number… they will see a 34 here… there… here… and there. not to mention a little number 5!!! forget a 1-2 punch, there is no way with this “1-2-3-4-5 punch” package that we can lose. number 4, who may be unknown to A LOT of people is david wilson. he runs his 40 a tenth of a second FASTER than ryan williams and he squats 100 lbs MORE than ryan williams… virginia tech IS the new running back U!!! with those 4 AMAZING running backs… i dont see how we can go less than 34 points a game… LETS GO HOKIES!!!

21. A fan

Date: Aug 31, 2010 at 5:52 am

Secfan those numbers are from last year. VT has only one returning defensive lineman from last year so i doubt they will have those numbers. Also, BSU has a playing style of not giving up yards (three plays with no gain = punt). So, your proposed “numbers” scheme is a relatively weak argument. I do agree with Ryan Williams being an absolute BEAST! The guy can flat run. His acceleration, vision, and incredible patience amaze me. IF you go back and watch the BSU vs Fresno game you will see that his big runs were a result of one bad tackle. The rest of his runs were minimal gains (I believe a consistent 5 runs per carry and td’s is more devastating to a D). I predict BSU winning 24-21 due to their huge advantage in secondary match-ups as well as returning starters.

22. Travis

Date: Aug 31, 2010 at 3:11 pm

a fan, go back and watch the nebraska game. preferably the finish when tyrod was given control of play calling. u “prevent yards” and give him ANY time, and he will SLAY secondaries. hell, even if u rush him, he will find something. the only advantage in secondaries that bsu has is that u guys run a 4-1-6??? so we will run until that schem is changed to something else, then we will just pass on bsu… and as for our defense… well, ive learned to NEVER doubt bud foster. as he said virginia tech defense does not rebuild, we reload. our replacements are BETTER than their counterparts…. im a tech student, and i went to our scrimmage games… the last scrimmage we had, our defense gave up 101 yards… dont doubt the d. we’ve been in the top ten in d for a lonnnng time now. hokies are for real. GO HOKIES!

23. dixie

Date: Sep 01, 2010 at 8:57 am

I don’t know about numbers or stats, all I know is GO HOKIES!!!! Frank Beamer said Boise State deserves their ranking…I don’t think we should talk too much trash to each other…we are both good teams…I can’t wait til LABOR DAY

24. dixie

Date: Sep 01, 2010 at 8:58 am

Not that there’s trash talking here, but I’ve seen it on other sites.

25. Travis

Date: Sep 01, 2010 at 1:18 pm

i have no problem with bsu, i wont trash talk them, but i think they are severely overrated… sorry. of course frank is gonna say they deserve it. no one likes to eat crow, im a HUGE hokie fan but we all know the hokies choke from time to time… coughUNCcough cough… im actually on my way the the bookstore right now to buy our new nike pro combat jersey for this game… they are TIGHT… check them out.

26. dixie

Date: Sep 01, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I ♥ Frank Beamer.

27. dixie

Date: Sep 01, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Hey, I can’t head to the bookstore, I haven’t been on campus since 1979, lol.
    :D

28. Rick

Date: Sep 01, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Travis – Aside from your running back argument, your points are mostly without merit. Their defense is completely changed, with a line that has had injury problems in the pre season and issues with consistant play. Running backs are very easily shut down by a team with a good game plan. Boise State did it to Adrian Peterson in 07 and TCU last year. Virginia Tech is incredibly one dimensional on offense, with a quarterback better suited for running than throwing. Boise State will miss some tackles and will allow big runs. But it will not be enough, considering the high likelihood of interceptions and the extreme offense vs defense advantage on the other side of the ball. Virginia Tech has the advantage in prestige, nothing else. They lose miserably when you compare the defenses side by side (except LB’s). And with the exception of running back are trumped on nearly all levels offensively. Big schools are always better right? Nope. It appears Vegas agrees with me…a little more everyday as the game gets closer.

29. IDAHO

Date: Sep 02, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I appreciate all of VT’s classiness, and am very excited to see the Broncos play what i feel is a very well matched team. I believe that since the teams are so well matched that the team that has the most willpower to fight through and overcome the obstacles that will come up, will end up the victor. Boise State has proved themselves over and over again, just has VT. The stats that are being compared not accurate to the situation and present day so i feel that whoever comes out with the best mental state will win.

30. Travis

Date: Sep 03, 2010 at 5:34 pm

whoa whoa whoa whoa… rick… come on man… tyrod taylor cant throw? check out the stats. check out his highlights. the kid MAKES things happen. we have AMAZING recievers… if bsu shuts down the run, NO SWEAT, go to the air. we did it VERY effectively last year. and just LB’s are better? i think not. our D line has 2 new guys, who are BEASTS i see them every day, and i have already seen them play this year. not to mention CB’s… come on… VT = is CB U. bsu will NOT shut down the run running their 4-1-6… wont happen. and if they decide to change to a defence that works on GOOD teams, then we will have a match. im looking forward to the 4-1-6 tho. as much as i love to see tyrod BOMB the ball 82 yards for the win… (which has happened) ill love to see our FOUR outstanding RBs run all over the field. they may have shut down ap in 07, but if you are going to talk about points with no merit, that would be the biggest one of all. we have a defensive coordinator that has done more than prove himself year after year after year. and they shut down tcu?… tcu who? they played even easier teams than boise did last year… all im sayin is, vt UNDERRATED… get ready boise. (with all due respect)

31. SECFAN

Date: Sep 03, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Rick everyone that puts money on boise in vegas is going to walk away a very upset and wallet thinner person. I dont care what boise did to TCU, they are garbage as will be seen this weekend when oregon state runs all over them. thats right a weak team in the pac-10 is going to beat the number 6 tcu horned frogs. Boise state is out sized, out matched on the outside, and their d-line will crumble to VTs running game, and this is coming from someone who is a SEC football fan, not a acc fan. I guess we will all just have to wait and see on monday, but come monday when they lose i will be here waiting for a hey you know what sec fan your right! (all in good fun my brother!)

32. SECFAN

Date: Sep 04, 2010 at 10:00 pm

well my pick of oregon state was off, which is sad, they sealed their own coffin in that game thats for sure….

33. Travis

Date: Sep 05, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Sec fan, so happy to see some respect dot vt outside of our own confrence. I was pull for the beavers as well… Frogs wil fall. I’m tired of these weak teams playing even weaker teams and demanding a title shot. Props to Boise for challenging themselves at least ONE time this year… I say NCAA needs a new rule, strength of sched must be at least in the top ten or fifteen to contend nationally…. Or a play off… But that’s too simple and makes to much since for them so it will never happen. If Boise wins… Which I’m saying won’t happen, more power to them. Let’s go HOKIES!!!!

34. Travis

Date: Sep 05, 2010 at 1:02 pm

One more thing about those “highlight” reels… Go back and look at them both, what ranked teams did Boise play where there were “highlights”??? I’ll help you out… The oregan ducks… And there was ONE highlight… Then some of the highlights were of the broncos mishandling snaps and recovering, there will be no time to recover against this “new” defense… Now go look at tech’s HIGHLIGHTS they are against teams like Georgia tech, Miami, Nebraska… Oh, and alabama. AND it was just of Ryan Williams… We have so many more weapons than that… Brace yourself Boise fans, d day is just 1 day away. GO HOKIES!!!

35. dixie

Date: Sep 07, 2010 at 8:30 am

Hats off to Boise and to the HOKIES!!!! Well done by all. I am proud of the Hokies for coming back and gelling as a defense after only one (awful) quarter. Both teams are fighters and I just love em both…but esp. love the HOKIES!!! Congrats to Boise State!!! I hope you peeps go all the way! No, actually I hope within my heart of hearts that the Hokies win by big margins all their remaining games and teams like Alabama & etc flub up a little and then we’ll do it all over again. I loved it…Outstanding game.

36. Travis

Date: Sep 07, 2010 at 4:03 pm

i must admit, boise is better than i thought. BUT… they are no #3 ranked team. virginia tech BLEW the first quarter. i dont remember the last kick that got blocked on us… and a fumbled snap??? thats 2 touchdowns that should have never happened… then nuber 18 (dj coles) on vt’s return defense is a RETARD… one, who roughs a kicker? two, who after roughing the kicker goes down field and takes 2 cheap shots and gets a personal foul?… another touchdown that shouldnt have happened… then the late hit call at the end of the game? im sorry… but if a receiver is THAT CLOSE to the line, and KEEPS RUNNING im going to hit them… another touchdown, that shouldnt. have. happened… im honestly depressed after this game… we should have won it… congrats to boise… nothin against you guys… more power to you… but that being said… if you get to the national title game… and play alabama… you will get embarrassed… techs first game is always rough… as i said earlier, if u look back, tech chokes… thats out downfall… best of luck with the rest of your season… if u can call it that.