SMART BET College Football Picks Week 7

Posted by in College Football Picks on October 12th, 2009 | 46 Comments

Overall Profit 6.2 units (updated as of 10/14 11:18 pm)

Weekly Running Profit: 2 unit (updated as of 10/14 11:18 pm)

We are coming off one of our greatest weeks ever. However, those bets don’t count this week and we need to keep rolling and finding solid plays. I have already jumped on four games as I saw some key statistical advantages and some key line moves that gave indication for strong plays.

1. Boise State vs Tulsa (+8.5) for 1 unit This game is Wednesday Night! Remember to look for the best available line.

Boise State 28 Tulsa 21 (W) 1 unit of profit.

2. Kent State (-6.5) at Eastern Michigan for 1 unit (W)

3. Miami OH at Ohio (-13.5)for 1 unit (W)

4. Texas Tech at Nebraska (-10) for 1 unit (L)

5. Arkansas State at UL-Monore (-1) for 1 unit  This game is on Tuesday Night.

UL Monroe 16 Arkansas State 10, (W) 1 unit of profit

6. Bowling Green at Ball State (+3) for 2 units (Ball State gets their first win of the season!) (L)

7. Baylor (+2.5) at Iowa State for 2 units (Baylor wins outright! Iowa State will still be affected by last weeks close upset loss to Kansas, you will definitely see a non-focused team. ISU gets beat by 2 touchdowns.) (L)

8. Virginia at Maryland (+3) for 1 unit: Maryland has been close in several games this year and I think they come through with a home win over Virginia. (L)

9. Georgia (-9.5) at Vanderbilt for 1 unit. Vandy is simply not good enough to stop Georgia’s offense. Plus Georgia’s D will put plenty of pressure on the QB and cause several TOs. (W)

10. Akron (+7.5) vs Buffalo for 1 unit. (W)

11. Washington vs Arizona State (-6.5) for 1 unit. Washington has been way more lucky than good. ASU thumps them this weekend. (W)

Those are all the plays for this weekend, but be sure to check back late Friday night or early Saturday just in case I get any late breaking info on the games.

Good Luck.

46 Responses to SMART BET College Football Picks Week 7:

1. phil

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 12:30 pm

hey Brandon.. new user to the site.. I decided to try it out… i’ll be following you this week with your college plays… hopefully we win!

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Glad to see you on board. We have been very successful this year and I truly believe that run will continue through the rest of the college season and into the college basketball season as well. Hopefully you made some nice money on last weekends card.

Good Luck

Thanks for the comments.

3. phil

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 3:59 pm

do you post your record anywhere on the site?

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 4:14 pm

UNOFFICIAL:

If you are thinking you want to parlay games this weekend and want to follow the system I laid out for you a few post backs, then I would recommend the following:

2 Team Parlay with the following:

Key Teams: (A) Baylor (B) Ball State

Additional Teams (C) Nebraska (D) Ohio

2 Team Parlay with Baylor and Ball State for 2 units

3 Team Parlay with Baylor, Nebraska, and Ohio for 1 unit

3 Team Parlay with Ball State, Nebraska, and Ohio for 1 unit

** Please note your 1 unit amount should be less than your normal 1 unit for playing straight bets on teams.

Good Luck.

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Phil. . . I post units of profit, which is updated after every post. Records can be deceiving. If i said I was 10-5 for the year and winning 66% of my games you would think I would be up. However, if the 5 plays I lost were my largest plays then I very well could be down a significant amount of money. Therefore, I post units of profit or loss.

Currently I have a profit for the college football season of 4.2 units, based on 1 or 2 unit plays.

Good Luck.

6. Red

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Hi Brandon,

Do you also pick NFL ?

Thanks

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Red,

I do release a few plays in the NFL, but over the years I have truly struggled. My forte has been college basketball and college football. I will occasionally release a few pro plays, but most of the plays will be college.

8. Red

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Thanks, Brandon,,,,
    Im on board,,,,new here will start with tonights game,,,

Happy bankroll

Rick Red,,,,

9. phil

Date: Oct 13, 2009 at 8:50 pm

thanks Brandon for the explanation.. looking good so far tonight with ULM!

Thanks

10. Huskers#1

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Hey brandon, I just jumped on board. Your pretty good at this from what I’ve seen. Thanks for the help

11. Jake

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Brandon-

Hey! I was curious which of those parlays you like the most…

Jake

12. Jake

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm

oops, 3 team parlay i mean!

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Huskers#1. . . great to have you on board. I honestly believe our analysis and dedication to the picks and the site is unmatched when it comes to free services. Currently I am up 5.2 units of profit, which means if you are a $50 dollar player then you are up over $250 for the year. That is not bad considering this is an absolutely free service.

Tonight’s game is huge as we look to continue rolling. I think Tulsa’s D is completely underrated and I am not a big fan of playing teams off bye weeks, especially when they were playing so well prior to the bye week. Most players will agree, when everything is clicking you just want to keep playing you don’t want that extra time off. Therefore, I look for Boise State to come out somewhat flat. Tulsa’s D is underrated and their offense can score points with anyone. Yes Oklahoma shut them out, but I would argue OK’s D is much stronger than Boise State’s D. I think this game is somewhat lower scoring than most people expect, especially if Boise State comes out flat. It is difficult to cover a spread on the road if you are playing from behind. If Tulsa can get some points on the board early they should easily cover this game.

Good Luck and thanks for all the comments.

Please don’t forget to check the site often for any updates or late breaking info that I may be releasing throughout the week. I will release plays at least an hour before game time so check back often.

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Jake. . . glad to see you on board as well.

I like the following 3-team parlay the most:

3 Team Parlay with Baylor, Nebraska, and Ohio for 1 unit

Please remember, that I believe your 1 unit play for parlays should be at least half of your normal 1 unit play for straight bets.

Thanks for the comments and good luck.

15. paul

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I like your advice on parlays…. i never really thought of it like that when i first started because i was over confident and would take the for sure “locks” and three way it and loose one game like i did on the steelers. That game was depressing… anyways… when you were listing your college picks…. it doesnt say who you picked from what i can read except on a few…. could you tell me out of the list you said to play which ones are you putting your units on?

16. paul

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm

What i meant to say is what TEAM your are betting on… you listed the game… and how much your playing… but not who you are going for…. but im also an idiot and new to this… however i am up on the year…. only 1 unit because of that stupid 3team parlay i did…….

17. Jake

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm

His picks are there…. He’s taking the team that has the spread listed next to them… like tulsa +8.5… or ohio -13.5

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Jake. . . is correct. I always put the spread next to the team I am playing.

Sorry about the confusion. I could make it more clear in the future.

19. paul

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 7:24 pm

no brandon its cool…. i am just new to this site and i didnt know how to read your picks…… also….. if you were going to parlay any nfl games in week 6 what you got in mind?….. I love the nfl… and thats usually what i bet on…. but i was thinking about doing two different parlays with the same teams but maybe changing one team out of one of them. Also, i might play a two-game tease…. let me know what you think… lastly…. when do you usually post your nfl picks

20. paul

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 7:25 pm

well…. which one of you… “because i just read older post and it said that “barndon” doesnt usually do nfl picks”… does vegas do it?

21. Brandon

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Vegas Martin usually posts a lot more on NFL as it simply is not my forte. This week I do think you have to stay with those teams that are continuing to play very well.

Eagles -14 at Oakland
    Ravens at Vikings -3
    Buffalo at Jets -9.5
    Giants +3 at Saints

Good Luck

22. phil

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm

another W nice start to the week! good job Brandon

23. paul

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm

omg what a good call on the tulsa game…. thought they were going to win outright for a second…… i have faith in you all on your picks….. i dont usually mess with college football but i might start messing it more to set up my bets on nfl…. i like your picks for sat… the only one that scares me is maryland…..

i hope the eagles will win by 14 at the black hole….. remember how well oakland played against the chargers there…..

24. Miz

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Silly me! Went against the grain again. Won’t make that mistake again. Gotta make a comeback this weekend.

25. paul

Date: Oct 14, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Miz i know all to well about comebacks…. but a little advice……. dont try to make up for your losses by betting more on the weekend… play like you normally would despite it….. thats just me

26. paul

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 3:02 am

when you say unit?… how much is 1 unit for you….. i dont play very high so i was just wondering

27. Patrick

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 6:30 am

If I remember correctly Brandon is a high roller and his units are 10K … He hit the lotto in 2005, doesnt work, so all he does now is pick college football and basketball games and golf three times a week… also he enjoys playing the 10k main event every year at the world series of poker … makes me jealous imo…

Great job on starting the week off with two wins… i bummed cause i missed that tuesday night game… but i did get the Tulsa win… Keep up the great work brother…

Take home a ton of units!

28. Miz

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 9:36 am

Do u like anything in usf vs cincy?

29. Jake

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:10 am

Great call on Tulsa last night Brandon. I picked up a unit on that one! I’ll be playing the majority of your picks this weekend, thanks again for helping us out.

I’m also thinking about putting 2 units on Ohio State (-13.5) @ Purdue..

30. Adam

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:13 am

Brandon, nice picks for this week. Do you ever play the money line on college football? Looks like you have some upsets this week. Thanks in advance.

31. Brandon

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 11:34 am

Thank for all the comments.

1) The best thing about using “units” is that even if you only play $10 a game my system of betting will work for you. Only betting 1 or 2 units keeps you in control, there won’t be any big losses on one single game. Even if I or you truly love a game and feel I could bet the “house,” that is simply out of control and you will wind-up down in the long run. I feel very confident that over the long term you will see a very nice profit.

2) Cincinnati (-1.5) vs USF: I am not making a play on this game, but if I had to it would be on the Bearcats.

3) I do play money line from time to time. Obviously I think Ball State and Baylor are plays to consider throwing some money on the money line. I only play money line on dogs though, never favorites. I never like laying that extra juice.

4) I am just a regular guy like all of you. I don’t have a lot to bet and I work 60+ hours a week. Usually get off work at 1am and have to be at my other job by 830am. But believe me I am at the Hilton at 745am almost every morning checking the lines and talking with several handicappers about what they like that day. On my lunch hour it is back to the Hilton to “check-in” again. I would love to do this handicapping full time, but as you can tell I am offering an ABSOLUTELY FREE SERVICE to all of you. I am working on my own site and possibility of becoming a Handicapping Service if everything continues to go well. However, with that being said the service would be different than all the others out there. 1) You would only pay if you won over the course of the entire WEEK, not just one day, and 2) every client would be on the honor system, I would expect 10% of whatever you bet on my picks for the week. That way even a $10 player could afford me.

Best of Luck. Thanks for all the comments.

32. Paul

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:18 pm

How confident are u on that parlay example cuz I like to play them but alng with them I usually will play a couple of straight up games to cover my self. Also I am a small money player I’m a freshman in college so I’m broke but I usually do well and if I lose I have money to pay my bills unlike many people. I really like hoe yall run things on this site and it’s a plus that it is free. Good luck I like most of ur sat picks

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Paul. . .

I like the parlay, but again I think it should be played only with a small amount of your bankroll. They offer great odds on parlays simply because they are that tough to hit.

Good Luck.

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for all your comments everyone.

I just posted my NFL picks and agree with all 4 of Brandon’s NFL picks. You can read my top 5 on my post but I like the Steelers, Eagles, Packers, Jets, and Jaguars. This is what I call “picking on the NFL retards.” The retards being the Browns, Raiders, Lions, and Rams.

The USF/Cincy game is tough. On a neutral field, I would be all over Cincy. Those Thursday night games in Tampa are CRAZY every single time. I expect a back and forth battle with lots of points and lots of lead changes. I would lean towards Cincy, but would not be the least bit surprised if USF won.

Good luck everyone and thanks again for your comments.

35. paul

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm

i was wondering how you feel about the auburn game… here is what i see that are key factors…

1. Auburn coming off of a tough loss….. need this win very badly…. also, there qb is playing well and there RB is sick…..

2. Kentucky has not been playing well offensively cept for that close game with SC when kentuckys QB got hurt… he is out against the away game at auburn which is good for auburn.

3. I think auburn wins by 17 maybe more.. what are your thoughts

36. Miz

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Cincy did me right. What’s up for tomorrow?

Date: Oct 15, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Easy win with Cincy. They were clearly the stronger team, but I’ve seen enough upsets by USF when they play at home on Thursday Night as an underdog to keep me away from this game.

Only football game tomorrow is Pittsburgh (5-1) -5.5 @ Rutgers (4-1). Tough game to call. Brandon typically likes home dogs (especially in prime-time games), so I wonder if he’ll go against the grain and take Pittsburgh here. I think you wait until the spread moves to Rutgers +6 and take the points, but I wouldn’t be highly confident in the pick.

I like the Auburn over Kentucky pick. They should cover the 13.5 points at home, but Kentucky covered last week on the road against South Carolina, so I would be weary of laying a lot of points to take Auburn.

38. Brandon

Date: Oct 16, 2009 at 3:45 am

For some reason people love that South Florida team. Remember a couple of years ago that made it to #2 in the rankings and then finished unranked? Who had they even beat? Florida State? Cincy was clearly the way to go there.

Kentucky vs Auburn (-14) There is no way I play this game as there are way too many unknowns. UK’s QB is out, but I know nothing about the backup. How does Auburn react to the beatdown they took last week? I would have to play Auburn if absolutely forced to make a pick.

Pittsburgh (-6) at Rutgers: very very tough call that is why I didn’t play it. Pitt has clearly played the better schedule and are a much more talented that Rutgers. But, again there are several unkowns that make this game difficult as well.

Good Luck

39. Ry

Date: Oct 16, 2009 at 6:23 am

Well, I hit Tulsa and Cincy to start the weekend… I love being up a couple of units before Saturday!

Good work fellas.

40. Brandon

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 7:36 am

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE FOLLOWERS!!

MAY OUR WINS BE HUGE AND OUR LOSSES BE SMALL.

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS THIS WEEK!

41. Miz

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Wow,looks like ball st. Is about to take a beating!!

42. Miz

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Wow,looks like ball st. Is about to take a beating!! They look horrible!!!

43. Huskers#1

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I stayed away from the ball state game. Goin with Virginia Tech this afternoon

44. Huskers#1

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Being a Husker fan, I am taking Nebraska but this could be a close one. I think Nebraska’s D wins this game

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I don’t know why he would want to take an 0-6 Ball State team as a 2 unit bet, but Bowling Green is pretty bad. That was a bold call, but there’s still a lot of football left to play.

Did anyone take any of my game this Saturday or was the post too late? Only Wake and Ohio St. are playing early. My only bet Saturday was Kansas though.

I dunno what OSU’s deal is but they are down 9-7 at the end of the first half.

Tough break for Wake as they had a 2nd and goal on the 1 and couldn’t punch it in for a TD and had to settle for 3. They’re down 17-3. Clemson follows that up with a kickoff return, unbelievable!

46. Patrick

Date: Oct 17, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Bradon and Martin… These games are looking good… i bet 8 of the college picks and i only see one loser out of 8!!! well done guys… Take home a TON of units irl!!!